Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Store - United Artisans of America

To give clear directions on the process in getting a store , I figured I would make a blog about it;) So this blog is for those that have just gotten or want to get a storefront... Otherwise you may get bored;)
At least in Fort Mill, SC...
When considering a store...

  • 1st Pray=) If God's not in it, I don't want to do it!

So you have decided on a place and feel Holy Spirit leading you...

  • Have a lawyer look over the lease to explain things to you, it was confusing to me and it was very helpful to have him review things. I don't like to sign things unless I know what it means, at least generally. I use Legal Shield, do allow for 3 to 4 days for your lawyer to get back to you.
  • You need to change the address of your Retail License - you do this by signing the bottom of the one you have and sending it off to Columbia, SC (probably your state capital). Or get one! $50 in SC.
  • If you are building anything, get a building permit. I didn't know I needed to do this before I started building. I had spoken to the very helpful building code enforcer of Fort Mill, and didn't realize our verbal plans needed to be put into a formal  Building Permit until the liaison for my building lease asked if I had a building permit. And there you go... 
  • Also, a verbal telling of your plans to the landlord is not sufficient, send them a tangible plan. (Didn't know that one either)

Some of you may be thinking that this is all very obvious so far, but this wasn't to me... and I'm sure to at least one other person out there=0)

  • To get your Business License to practice in Fort Mill, SC either the Code Enforcer, Building Code person or another fellow whose title I don't know has to come in with the Fire Chief and inspect the building. Since my building does not have a sprinkler system the rules are very strict as far as what I can and can't do. W. H. (Current Code Enforcer) has been very helpful trying to make the vision happen without breaking International code. Even though your license expires 12/31 you have until March to get your new one.
  • Get business insurance, if you are in Fort Mill, SC, Diane Woods is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! She will hook you up!
  • Change Address with Secretary of State. $10 Filing Fee - wish I received $10 for every-time I reviewed a document and changed an address in the system;)
Not all the following may apply to you, but these are what I have gotten.
  • Monthly Fees: Utilities, Internet, Phone, POS -system to take credit cards, Business Insurance, Security , RENT, Printing Services, loan interest
  • Yearly Fees: Warehouse Membership, 
  • Start- Up Fees (besides listed ones): Deposit (building), Building Materials (wood, drywall (fire-resistant), mud, troth, mudding knife, sanding sponges, paint, painter's tape, drop cloth, screws (go ahead and get deck 3" for nailing the wood - cheaper than inside screws), drywall screws, drywall tape, corner tape with metal...), Cleaning Materials (broom, mop, bucket, solution, paper towels, rags, wetwipes, toilet bowl, brush, plunger, hand soap), shelves, shelf holders, pegboard hooks, tags, business cards, chairs, tables, furniture, products, food, water filter, checks, QuickBooks Pro, coffee, coffee filters, coffee maker, percolator, tea, cocoa...  There's more, just not coming to me=) Praise God for the loaners=)
  • Taxes are going to vary per state so I won't go into that too much. Withholding, Business Personal Property, Sales, Property, Filing Fee for taxes, your CPA if you have one, SC Income Tax, Federal Income Tax, Hospitality Tax - I know right?...
There are probably more things to add as I go along on this journey, if this helps even one person, GREAT!
If you have questions, please comment and I'll try to answer if I can or find an answer for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment